The Fort Worth Baroque Society is a "rolodex style resource" of auditioned singers. For each concert performed by the Baroque Society, a new roster of singers is called from the rolodex similar to the way the rolodex style choirs of Europe function.
The society forms a choral ensemble for each concert in accordance with:
- The demands of the works being performed
- The desire of the conductor
- The desired vocal mix
- The number of singers that can be seated in the performance venue.
Note: If you are accepted onto the rolodex of singers through the audition process, you will be called "as needed" to participate in concerts. It is important that you understand you may not be
called for every concert. We call members of the rolodex as they
are required for a particular concert.
Membership in the Fort Worth Baroque Society is defined as:
- Being accepted through the audition process by the audition panel
- Being placed on the rolodex
- Having received a copy of the "Singers Handbook"
- Having read the "Singers Handbook"
- Having signed the signature page at the back of the handbook
- Having turned in your signed signature page to a member of the board
Maintaining "Membership in Good Standing" in the Fort Worth Baroque Society is contingent on abiding by the guidelines as stated in the "Singers Handbook".
A singer is required to audition before being placed on the rolodex. All auditions will be heard by an audition panel and at no time will singers join the Baroque Society without going through the audition process.
Beginning in 2011, the audition panel for the Fort Worth Baroque Society will be seated twice a year.
2nd Saturday in January
2nd Saturday in September
If you would like to audition for the Baroque Society please visit "Contact Us" and submit a request.
Make sure you include a phone number of a phone you answer and an e-mail address that you check frequently.
The audition will consist of:
1. A prepared piece of your choice that displays your vocal range. (You will
need to provide a copy of your prepared piece for the pianist as well
as yourself unless you have your piece memorized).
2. A section of "He Shall Purify" or "For Unto Us a Child is Born" from Messiah.
The selection you choose must include at least 1 melisma.
3. Sight singing for Pitch
4. Sight singing for Rhythm.
A pianist will be provided for your audition.
We will attempt to contact you 2 times to confirm your audition and to
assign you a time. Auditions are held in the afternoons beginning at
2:00PM and will run as long as it takes to listen to everyone. If
you do not respond to our attempts to contact you we will remove you
from the list and another request will be required the next time the
audition panel is seated.
You should arrive 30 minutes prior to your audition time in order to:
1. Fill out your information form
2. Receive a written description of how we function and the "rules of
3. Sign the form indicating you understand the "rules of the
rolodex" and that you understand you may not be called for
4. Receive further instructions.
Audition by Invitation
You may receive a special e-mail invitation to audition if your name was given to us by a singer or conductor. If you receive an audition invitation and desire to accept it, reply back expressing your desire to audition. We will add you to the list and let you know when your audition time is.